DHL Hong Kong Air Trade Leading Index ("DTI") is a quarterly survey implemented by Hong Kong Productivity Council ("HKPC"), and commissioned by DHL Express (Hong Kong) Limited ("DHL").
DTI is the first-of-its-kind in Hong Kong, offering publicly available market intelligence for local enterprises, especially SMEs which typically have limited resources or access to information, enabling all to take reference from a comprehensive business review of the sector in which they operate.
The Overall Index represents the air trade market outlook for the surveying quarter, in respect of import and (re-)export. The research also studies the underlying trends in business attributes, markets and air-freighted commodities, thus assisting local enterprises in arriving at a primed view of the business outlook of their markets.
DTI - Third Quarter of 2017
Release Date: Jul 27, 2017
As we shift into the second half of 2017, numerous major political events across the world are beginning to settle, particularly in Europe. The third quarter saw a relatively favourable outlook over the past 2 years, bolstered by a gradual recovery in key markets in Asia Pacific.
- The first two quarters of 2017 saw a number of elections take place in Europe. As the results of these elections were revealed and the political climate settled, market sentiment likewise stabilized. The overall index score for Q3 2017 is one of the highest in the past 2 years, reflecting an encouraging trend since the downturn.
- Demand for air exports to Europe remained at one of the recent peaks since the downtrend following Q3 2015. Markets in Asia Pacific have also shown signs of picking up, with both air imports and air exports showing better prospects due to greater product variety.
- For air imports, the outlook for the period under review remains similar to that of the previous quarters. Optimism has carried over in the Electronics and Food & Beverage sectors, and more than half the respondents who are positive about the air import outlook for Q3 2017 expect a recovery in local retail sales to provide support.
- Mr Gordon Lo, Director (Business Management) of Hong Kong Productivity Council, said, "In view of the current economic and competition landscape, enterprises and startups should constantly look for innovation ideas for growth. Startups should keep abreast of technologies and business support that suit their strategic needs, for example, 3D printing prototyping, market testing, and research on innovative product ideas. On the other hand, enterprises are advised to broaden their exposure on new ideas brought by these startups, and look for collaboration. Innovation is the future key to success."
Download of DTI Quarterly Report
|DTI - Third Quarter of 2017 (PDF version)
DTI - Third Quarter of 2017 (Text-only version)
|Jul 27, 2017|
|DTI - Second Quarter of 2017 (PDF version)
DTI - Second Quarter of 2017 (Text-only version)
|Apr 28, 2017|
|DTI - First Quarter of 2017 (PDF version)
DTI - First Quarter of 2017 (Text-only version)
|Jan 25, 2017|
|DTI - Fourth Quarter of 2016 (PDF version)
DTI - Fourth Quarter of 2016 (Text-only version)
|Nov 11, 2016|
|DTI - Third Quarter of 2016 (PDF version)
DTI - Third Quarter of 2016 (Text-only version)
|Aug 8, 2016|
|DTI - Second Quarter of 2016 (PDF version)
DTI - Second Quarter of 2016 (Text-only version)
|May 13, 2016|
|Feb 19, 2016|
|Nov 16, 2015|
|Aug 11, 2015|
|May 7, 2015|
|Feb 6, 2015|
|Nov 12, 2014|
Index Calculation: Index = [100 x (Percentage of samples responding "Positive") ] + [50 x (Percentage of samples responding "Neutral") ] + [0 x (Percentage of samples responding "Negative") ]
- Ratios of collected responses are used to form the indices.
- An index value above 50 indicates an overall positive outlook while a reading below 50 represents an overall negative outlook for the surveyed quarter.
- The further the reading is from 50, the more positive or negative the outlook is.
- Respondents are Hong Kong-based companies associated with either inbound or outbound air trade. It includes Watches, Clocks & Jewellery, Apparel & Clothing Accessories, Electronics Products & parts, Gifts, Toys & Houseware, Food & Beverage and Others (including courier service and other items which do not belong to the categories listed above).
- Over 600 samples are collected in each quarter.
- Sample companies are randomly selected from publicly available directories.
This report contains survey result based on research findings. HKPC will not be liable for any loss, mistake, delay, action or non-action by viewers of this report.